Sunday, May 3, 2015

Tour De Camden

"I have always struggled to achieve excellence. One thing cycling has taught me is that if you can achieve something without a struggle it's not going to be satisfying." 

-Greg LeMond

My dad and I after finishing the Tour de Camden this weekend in Camden, SC. 
On May 14th I will leave my cute little hometown of Camden, South Carolina for Nags Head, where I will dip Big Blue's tire in Atlantic Ocean and start my bicycle trek across the United States. Since February, I have been training for this adventure. Not only that, but I have been fundraising, participating in online discussions about Affordable Housing, putting in sweat equity hours at my local Habitat for Humanity, learning about cycling, buying gear, and living my every day life on top of all that. Needless to say, I've had my hands full.

A couple months ago, my dad told me we were going to ride in the Tour de Camden as a part of my training. The Tour de Camden is a charity bike ride that benefits the Thoroughbred Retirement Foundation, Habitat for Humanity, and United Way of Kershaw County. They have a metric century ride, a fifty mile, and a thirty mile ride. As time was quickly approaching, I asked my dad if he was SURE I should ride the 62 mile ride. I seriously had my doubts. Before this weekend, I had done one ride over sixty miles with my friend Summer and we took it easy on ourselves. Anyways, Saturday came. I put my headphones in, listened to my cycling inspiration video and got in the Mary Reames "zone." The ride takes off from Historic Camden, so we drove down there and got ourselves ready for the ride. 

Cycling has been an extremely mental sport for me. I've always been a great runner, and naturally a good endurance athlete, but something about cycling really challenges me. When I started that ride on Saturday, I really had to focus and just believe in myself. I had put in all this hard work, over 1,000 training miles...of course I could do this. My donors have donated over 10,000$ towards my ride. SO MANY people believe in me! I am humbled by this and sometimes I am SO focused on getting better, being better, training harder, and faster that I don't even take time to look at where I started and how far I have come. When we got to mile thirty, I ate another GU, kicked it into high gear, climbed some rolling hills, and knew that if I made it HALF way, I could make it the whole way. 

I am my own worst enemy. It is never the person next to me, behind, or in front of me I need to worry about. It is that still small voice inside my head that can be my biggest ally or my biggest enemy. When I'm on that bike, I am in a world of my own and I can be as free as I want to be. 

As my dad and I passed the 35 mile marker, we made a friend! (big surprise, right?) We rode with our new found friend, Tom, the rest of the way. That's another thing I really love about my cycling journey...I've met the coolest people along the way. Sure, some rides are lonely and it's just me, big blue, and the pavement. But I've crossed paths with so many people in this adventure and I'm so thankful for all of them. 

When my dad and I returned safe and sound to Historic Camden, I looked at Strava (cycling app) to see what kind of progress I had made. I was SHOCKED when I looked at the screen on my phone. I had ridden the metric century in less than four hours at an average pace of almost 16 mph. To many, this is not very fast, but to ME it is a HUGE DEAL. I took that moment to do something I never do...i congratulated myself. Throughout this whole process, I have not taken the time to love myself, to say...great job today Mary. I finish a task and then I'm on to tomorrow or next week's long ride, or how I could have been better. I am really hard on myself, but on Saturday I was proud of myself. I took that day to reflect on all the progress I've made not just since February when I started riding my road bike, but my athletic progress in this WHOLE year.

Last June I started Crossfit because I didn't like my body and I wasn't happy. I wanted to change, but I was intimidated by the barbells, box jumps, and buff members of 1732. I walked into that box (yes "box" not gym) completely terrified and unaware of what I was about to get myself into. I am so glad because it was one of the best decisions I've ever made. The people I workout with are now some of my best friends. A lot of people make fun of us crossfitters, but I have laughed with these people, cried with them, sweated with them, and almost puked on Broad Street with them. They have seen me at my best and my worst. I LOVE THEM! When I first started I could barely lift a barbell. I've made so many gains since last June...I've deadlifted 1.5 times my body weight, I've run a seven minute mile (would have been faster if i didn't almost get run over), and I've gained confidence in myself. 

I'm not saying all of this to brag, but I think we should all take pride in the things we do, especially things we put our HEART and SOUL into. I've put A LOT into Bike and Build. With all that said, I feel empowered being a female athlete and riding my awesome bike across the country for something greater than myself. If I help one person this summer, I will have accomplished something worthwhile. 

This week is my last week at work and for those who don't know, my last full week as a resident of Camden, SC. After my trip, I will be returning to Wilmington, North Carolina. Words cannot even express how thankful I am to all those who have in some way touched my life these past 18 months. Because of my time here I am a better, stronger version of myself. I have grown...but not alone. Thank you friends, family, fellow crossfitters, co-workers, and cyclists. I am super excited about my future and what all that entails, but it would not be possible without all the love and support I have received over the past eighteen months. I want to especially thank my father, for always loving me and supporting me no matter what. Thank you for pushing me when I needed it and loving me when I couldn't love myself. You are the best role model I could possibly have. Thank you. To the rest of you...I am better and stronger because of all of you. Never forget it. 


"You never know what's around the corner. It could be everything. Or it could be nothing. You keep putting one foot in front of the other, and then one day you look back and you've climbed a mountain..." 






1 comment:

  1. So i really don't like reading but i've really enjoyed reading these blogs, just like any good story i loved the character development. This one really brings to light how soon you are leaving us(your crossfit family), we are all so proud and super excited for your next step in life.
    You will realize that being able to get in that 'Mary zone' is always going to be a very important part of your being, knowing how your self works and where your limits are helps you come to that point of acknowledging that life is all about mind over matter. If you put your mind to it, then you can do. You are a prime example of this, just like the day you got that one mile PR. I obviously was lucky enough to be the coach that day and when you took off for the run you had determination on your face. As you ran that last 200m i thought to myself 'dang she is running as if she is being chased' annddd i also got a good laugh when you almost took out that car. Countless examples like your OHS, snatch and even rowing have come a long way but you have worked hard on your weaknesses and seen a day and night difference from when you started to today.
    As you move on remember as with training today's mistakes should always make us better tomorrow and always smile because it could just as easily make an impact on someone's life.
    It has been fun being your friend, customer, coach and " buddy WOD buddy".
    Love ya girl, you'll be missed.

    ReplyDelete