Thursday, April 23, 2015

One Stranger Helping Another

"Gratitude unlocks the fullness of life. It turns what we have into enough, and more. It turns denial into acceptance, chaos to order, confusion to clarity. It can turn a meal into a feast, a house into a home, a stranger into a friend." -Melody Beattie 



My Bike and Build trip is quickly approaching, and I am getting SUPER excited! Training has gotten real, fundraising is going great, and I'm learning a lot about the affordable housing cause. ONLY 22 MORE DAYS until I start orientation and 20 days until I leave Camden. This will definitely be a bittersweet goodbye, but more on that later. Monday I did my first ride over 65 miles! That ride definitely had it's challenges, but I'm glad I did it and I'm feeling more prepared for what's ahead. I am really thankful for my friend, Summer, who rode with me. Here are a couple snap shots of our 67 mile adventure: 

                             



"Just seize every opportunity you have, embrace every experience. Make a mark, for all the right reasons." -Chrissie Wellington 



Today I had an interview with James and Pam Holiday, who are about to move into their new home, provided by Habitat for Humanity. I met James last time I was on the Habitat for Humanity build site here in Kershaw County. James has put in many hours not just on his house, but on other habitat houses on Gordon Street. When I saw him, I could immediately tell he was a hard worker and genuine person. That big smile never left his face. James has been out at that house come rain or shine, and his hard work has paid off because their house is finished! They will be moving in between May 14th-21st after all the paperwork has gone through. Their fourteen year old son, Jaylen, will also be moving in with them. This was actually their first time applying for a habitat house and it was kinda on a whim! Pam and James have been living in their same apartment for fifteen years and they wanted something that was THEIR OWN. So, they applied to habitat and they were chosen based on their need and several other factors. Pam told me that they were extremely blessed to have this house because you can pay rent all you want, but it will never truly be yours. This is something that they can be proud of. This is not just a house to the Holidays, it is a home. 

I asked Pam what she was most excited about when she moves in and she told me that she couldn't wait to sit on her front porch and drink a cup of coffee in the morning. Being a Barista, I really appreciate this about her! I LOOOVEEEEEE coffee! This statement also made me think about the small things in life and how I need to be more appreciative of what I have. When was the last time I sat on MY front porch and drank a cup of coffee? I don't even remember. Pam's face lit up when she talked about her new carpet. She said one of the first things she did was roll around without her shoes on on her new carpet. When she was telling me about this, she had tears in her eyes. She is so truly grateful, even for the small stuff. 

What the Holidays enjoyed most about working on their own home was the spirit of people. They told me that they met so many giving people on this journey. It was "one stranger helping another." What a truly beautiful thing. This experience has given them a new outlook on life. James absolutely loves Habitat and wants to continue helping with other houses. He wants to give back what was given to him. He has learned so much building his house from the ground up. That is one aspect of Habitat that I really love. If something breaks, James will more likely than not, know how to fix it. Habitat for Humanity does an excellent job of getting homeowners involved in their own homes by requiring them to complete 200 or more sweat equity hours. Jaylen also got to help on the house. Pam and James are excited to leave a legacy for their family, to have people over for BBQs, and to just simply have a place of their own. 

I really enjoyed my interview with the Holidays. These people reminded me of WHY I'm doing what I'm doing this summer. I'm riding across the United States because of people like Pam and James. Their positive energy and happiness is contagious and if I meet one family like them out there this summer, I will be truly blessed, as Pam said. I am inspired by the small things in my life on this day...carpet, coffee, and something as simple as a smile. Thank you Pam and James for sharing that with me. I wish you both much happiness and many memories in your new HOME. God bless. 

James & Pam Holiday at their new home! 

Watering the plants 



"From the standpoint of daily life, however, there is one thing we do know: that we are here for the sake of each other-above all for those upon whose smile and well-being our own happiness depends, and also for the countless unknown souls with whose fate we are connected by a bond of sympathy. Many times a day I realize how much my own outer and inner life is built upon the labors of my fellow men, both living and dead, and how earnestly I must exert myself in order to give in return as much as I have received." -Albert Einstein 





No comments:

Post a Comment