Tuesday, May 12, 2015

Goodbyes & Thank Yous

"As I was standing there, I had a premonition; and in my heart, I felt something coming, and I knew it was going to be big. And obviously, this is what it was. It was John, Christine, Mick, and Lindsey-it was Fleetwood Mac. I felt it that day. When I left the Velvet Underground, I was a different woman. I really was. Got in my car, drove back, got ready for practice, and realized something MAGNIFICENT was at the end of this road. The reason I'm telling you this is because everyone has their Velvet Underground moment. And when you have it, DON'T walk away from it. Always reach into the stars and take it. Don't let anybody get in your way because you'll be sorry later. You'll regret it because life is short, and on the other side of that, life is long. So you need to be doing something that you love. Never let anybody tell you that you shouldn't do what you love--what you want. You go to the Velvet Underground and stay there. Live there. And do what is good for your soul. So I'm back to the Velvet Underground. Back to the floor that I love. Back to a room with some lace and paper flowers...Back to the gypsy that I was..."-Stevie Nicks  




Needless to say, I've been a little stressed with work ending and packing for Bike and Build AND moving to Wilmington. This morning I went to Lisa Riente's yoga class. Lisa talked a lot about letting out of burdens and carrying the weight of the world on our shoulders. I felt like I was definitely in the right place at the right time! I have a lot going on, but I feel like instead of spending me last couple days here stressed out, I should spend them enjoying my time here with friends and family. Right now, it may seems like everything might not get done, but it will. This has been a process from the start and i have to finish out that process; it can't be rushed. After class, I was doing some reflecting and I wanted to thank everybody who has been a part of my process here. If I leave any of you out...I'm sorry! I've def been a little all over the place recently. Okay so here we go...

HELEN PARTIN 


Oh boy. Helen...I am your gypsy friend, and you've never questioned me or lectured me. You know that I have my own process and sometimes I walk through that process alone. That's what I need to grow, to heal, and to learn. Every time I come out on the other side, you're always there waiting for me. We've made so many mistakes together, but we've become better on the other side because of it. Helen, you are more than just a "best friend." You are my sister and my soul mate. Thank you for never leaving my side no matter what. Here's to the next chapter. Love you. 

THE BOOKMOBILE 




The bookmobile was the first experience I ever had that REALLY taught me what giving back was. I had done other volunteer work, but this really clicked with me. The bookmobile is a magical vehicle that travels to schools and parts of Kershaw County that can't easily access the regular library. I'm not sure whether it was the ice cream, the robot named Molly, or the kids, but I woke up one day and I realized that I ACTUALLY like giving back. The bookmobile gave me purpose. Volunteering on the bookmobile made me feel connected the the community where I live and it gave me a sense of direction. I think everybody should try to give back in some way, shape, or form. You never know who you are going to touch and how it will effect you. Thank you Amy, Jennifer, Jennifer, Debbie, Lori, Steve, and the rest of my library family. What you guys do changes lives and it's real. Not only that, ya'll have fun doing it. Ya'll taught me the meaning of loving what you do. It's important to have passion. It is the source that drives us forward. Thank you all for this opportunity. 

BOOKS ON BROAD 






As I look back, I realize I've had so many memories in this place. So much comes rushing back to me: the Mary and Dr. Bill show, Vincent Sheheen's campaign, the time Bill made coffee and it spilt everywhere, the time I busted 45237836 diet coke cans. I've been attacked my bagels here. How many people can say that? I've made friends here. Regular customers have seen me cry and held my hand through the hard days. I learned the difference between a latte and a cappuccino. I had the BEST birthday yet in this store with an oreo cake, flowers, and random friends. I actually FELT love on that day. That's an amazing experience when you know without a shadow of a doubt that all you did was be who you are and people love you for it. You don't have to put on a different face to have friends or "be accepted." I saw people come in day after day and I saw how good customer service and a good cup of coffee could change their day. Maybe that one extra smile CAN make all the difference. What I take away from this experience more than anything else is that we are all in this together. I try to remember that maybe it's not all about me, it's about the next person too. We are all trying to make our way in this world and I need to be more patient with people and definitely with myself. Thank you Books on Broad, Laurie, Bill, Kim, Zack, Gail, Murshay, and even the mean ghost...Bob. This has been a learning experience for me and I walk away from it better than I was before. Thank ya'll for being a part of my growth. It's been beautiful.




"You have to leave the city of your comfort and go into the wilderness of your intuition. What you'll discover will be wonderful. What you'll discover is yourself."-Alan Alda

MY FAMILY 



Truth be told, this would not even be happening without ya'll. So many of you donated to my Bike and Build ride and I am so thankful. You guys have been there for me and believed in me no matter what. Living back in Camden this past year, I have really learned what it means to be a part of a family. Family means yes, sometimes things get messed up, but you keep going. You keep standing beside that person because they're blood and because you love them. Because you believe in them. You guys believed in me enough to help me raise almost $11,000 for Affordable housing! That's so amazing and such an awesome cause. Thanks and love you guys. 



MY CROSSFIT FAMILY 


A big shout out goes to my dear friend, Christina Brockington. She introduced me to Crossfit and I was intimidated, scared, and nervous. That first night in the box I felt like...hmmm maybe this really could be something. Also, thank you to Rachel Wamsley, who was coaching that night. You made me feel welcome and you made me feel like I belonged. You're awesome girl. As time when on, and I started getting faster, lifting heavier weights, I gained confidence in myself. I also gained many friendships. Like I've said before, I've laughed, cried, hurt myself, and even almost thrown up with these people. We're tough and competitive with each other, but we love each other. I want to be better and I want the person next to me to be better too. I feel like Crossfit is really empowering (and humbling.) Thank you guys for being a part of my fitness journey, for pushing me, and for making me better. Don't miss me too much and WOD with ya'll in August... 


SUMMIT CYCLES 

YOU GUYS ARE AWESOME!!!! Thanks so much for putting my bike together, tuning it, and answering 43567823678 questions. I DEFINITELY could not have done this without you guys. Ya'll have made this journey MUCH more enjoyable. Thank you again. 


Thank you of course to ALL my donors. I appreciate everyone of you, from the 10$ donations to the really big donations. This wouldn't be happening without you guys. Also, thanks to Habitat of Kershaw County for letting me get my sweat equity hours in with you guys. I feel like I am better prepared because of everything ya'll helped me with. Thanks to all my friends who have supported me and lifted me up in my adventures. AND to my Wilmington friends...see ya'll in August. 


TO MY TEAM--AHHH!!!!!! GET PUMPED!!!!!! 

"You know you are not bound to stay the same person, to live the same life you lived yesterday over and over again...life is about growing adapting, changing, learning, and moving forward-sometimes you'll try something on, and it just might not fit, it might not suit you or it might not be exactly what you are looking for. And you know what, that's okay...it's completely okay to close the door to something and open another. Just tread gently wherever you go and in whatever you choose to do, respect that everyone is just trying to find their way just as you are, though some may not be as brave as many, many are burdened by knowing in their hearts they chose the wrong door, but still sty confined...paralysed by fear. So remember to stay humble, be kind and generous with your love and if it doesn't work out...It's going to be okay. Because, you were born to change. Adapt. Learn & Grow." 




No comments:

Post a Comment