Thursday, May 21, 2015

Good days and bad days

"You're gunna have good days and you're have bad days. Just get back on that bike and keep pedaling."
 -Gill Reames 


Hey guys! We've made it to Chapel Hill. After all the flats, bonking, potholes, road side dance parties, cliff bars, sore muscles, sticking, chalking, DMing, bonding, and everything in between... We ARE here. I am so excited for our first build day and thankful for all those who helped us along the way. After all, that's why we're doing this... To help people who need us. I'm pumped for tomorrow and whatever challenges lie ahead. 

Speaking of challenges, let's talk about cycling. So, yesterday was my longest ride yet at 80 miles. Every morning we pick groups to ride in of around five people. You can all stay together or split up later on if you want. It's up to the group. Yesterday we went from Greenville to wake forest. To be honest, I was happy to get out of Greenville. I had a tough day mentally on my ride to Greenville and it was hard on me. When we get to the ECU student center, I pulled out my therma rest and passed out. I was completely done. Yesterday I woke up with the mental attitude that I was riding 80 miles that day and that I could definitely do it. There was no doubt in my mind. My group and I powered it out! We killed it! My poor teammate, Abby Keller, got FOUR flats that day. She holds the record for most flats in a day. 



Around mile 40 we stopped for lunch. Let me just say, this was my favorite ride YET. The route we took was absolutely gorgeous. We got to take in a lot of luscious green farmland and NOrth Carolina countryside. I was absolutely in awe. The beauty of this state is enough is enough to make one cry. (Most of the state I might add.) I led the group from about mile 20 until lunch around mile 40. During this time we had a dance party on the side of the road, had a flat, and got chased by a ferocious bulldog. Exciting. 


After lunch we decided we wanted to book it To Chapel Hill. Abby, Evan, Emma, and I rode hard. We killed it. And another tire.... But moving on. As soon as we started getting into wake forest, the hill came rolling in. No lie. No more flat. I feel like the 1472 feet we did was in the last six miles. Seriously, I cannot express where I went mentally those last six miles. I had to go to that place in my head and tell myself that i had this. That I coul do it. I loved my group and we all worked so well together. That last hill I climbed, I thought I might pass out and collapse... But we did it! When we rolled into the parking lot we collapsed and all hugged each other. We felt such a since of accomplishment after that ride. I was so proud of us. Yesterday I feel like I learned what it REALLY means to work as a team and to have each other's backs. It was awesome. 


Moving onto today ... Arg! The struggle. The first twenty miles went by quickly, but te next twenty dragged on for hours... Literally! When we were passing through downtown Durham, my group and I missed our first turn and had to walk our bikes back in the rain/mud to make it back because the road was a one way. Luckily, we ran into our team leader and her group and she led us to a coffee shop. She lives in Durham so she knows what's going on. There we stopped, regrouped, and let the rain pass. 



After a decent coffee break, we were off! And boy did we have stop after stop. First, Stacy slipped in the slick road and luckily I was going slow and did not run over her! Today, I learned about bike safety. Our leaders have been drilling in our heads about bike safety. I was not going super fast and not on Stacy's tail so no one was hurt. She's tough and we got going again. We pulled off later down the road at a random house because I drank ALL the water in my camelback and was thirsty. The woman who lived there was super nice and let me fill up on water and ice. Then.... We missed more turns. The struggle was real. I was frustrated with rain, cars, missed turns, and my growling stomach. (We all voted this morning not to eat lunch until we reached te host.) by the time we finally got to our host site it was nearly 3:00! 

Once I set my stuff out, took a shower, and ate something I wa feeling much better. Not everyday is going to be perfect, but I have to remember WHY I'm here. Hoyle and Janet (the NC to SD groupies. The look out for us) were here waiting when we pulled up. I was so happy to see their smiling faces. I was also super happy to see the bike mechanic! Bike and build had a guy come from a local bike shop to work on all our bikes. He looked at mine, and sure enough I had a bent hanger. He fixed it and I'm good to go for the next ride. 

Right now... It's bed time. I'm sore and tired, but excited for tomorrow, new adventures, and any new people I might encounter. I love my team and I love bike build. I can't imagine life after this. This is WHERE I am at now and there's no where else I'd rather be. 




*** bike and build lingo***

Sticking- getting a team member to roll your sore leg muscles out with a foam roller called "the stick." It's super painful but helpful. 

Chalking- marking on the pavement with chalk turns, glass, where you stopped, etc. you can even draw funny pictures. 

DMing- donation magic. Asking people for free stuff basically. 

Bonking-hitting a wall due to lack if food/water and burning 53738383 calories on your bike.   

"Every great dream begins with a dreamer. Always remember, you have within you the strength, te patience, and the passion to reach for the stars to change the world." -Harriet Tubman 




Xoxoxo I emoji you 

No comments:

Post a Comment