Tuesday, June 16, 2015

Fayettechill


The past couple days have been absolutely amazing, but definitely challenging in new ways. After Little Rock , we had another century day too Clarksville. A century, build day, then a century was tough work. I decided that I was going to stop having expectations about century rides. My new plan was just to get on my bike and take it as it comes. I rode with Jackie, zack, and Melissa. This was definitely my favorite century so far. We got lost twice and added nine extra miles to our route, but we all remained positive and just brushed it off our shoulders. On century days, we have two lunches, usually about one third and two thirds if the way there. I was so ready for second lunch by mile 75! I could feel a crash coming, so I had no shame about the iced coffee I drank to get me through my ride. 


Around mile 100, I took over for zack and led the group into the host. We stayed at university if the ozarks and it was so cool to be in a college dorm! Our hosts cooked a delicious spaghetti dinner for us and I was so thankful for their hospitality. We also picked names out of a hat (well.... Emma's hand) for NC2SD prom. Yes, we are having prom in Colorado. I will keep you guys posted on who received my name and how they ask me. 


The next day we headed to Fayetteville, a 83 mile ride. I ride with Emma and Steven and we had such a great time! We were team victory dance. We rolled up to lunch around mile 40 and I made one of my most successful lunches thus far... Avocado (what a treat), banana, an raisins on a bagel. Don't judge me... 


We got to climb the ozarks after lunch! This was one of my favorite rides so far and one of the most beautiful parts of the country I've seen yet. I remember cycling through the rain with Steven and Emma thinking to myelf, wow. This is amazing. I can't believe I have the opportunity to ride my bike through such a beautiful place. I had an overwelming sense of gratitude and joy in that moment. The ozarks made me feel at peace. The ozarks made me respect the mountain. I embraced the mountain that day; I didn't fight it. I loved it. 






The descent was cool, but we had to use caution in the rain. We rode into Fayetteville and climbed one last giant hill before we got to our host, First Christian Church. This church has hosted NC2SD the past seven years and let me tell you... They are an awesome group of people! Last night they had a potluck dinner for us and I think I should get an award for how much I ate. 


Today we got to sleep in until 7:00 and it was glorious! I had to wake up everyone in my room because they were not having it. Haha. The church members cooked breakfast for us and we headed to the build site, where we worked with habitat. Dave, the construction manager and Michelle, the resource development manager met us with smiling faces. They were so welcoming and glad to have us there. Dave created such a chill atmosphere at the site, so not only did I feel welcome, I felt at home and very comfortable. We worked on some scaffolding, house wrapping, and we wen got to meet a family who is receiving a habitat home. Sara, the new homeowner, was open with us and shared her story with me and Maura. It is amazing to hear stories of human resilience in this trip and  to see how strong people are and how far they have come. I love this journey... More to come soon .... Xoxo. 






Enjoy the journey, the destination will come soon enough. 


No comments:

Post a Comment