Saturday, December 26, 2015

Thank you to all my donors


"“I'd like to repeat the advice that I gave you before, in that I think you really should make a radical change in your lifestyle and begin to boldly do things which you may previously never have thought of doing, or been too hesitant to attempt. So many people live within unhappy circumstances and yet will not take the initiative to change their situation because they are conditioned to a life of security, conformity, and conservatism, all of which may appear to give one peace of mind, but in reality nothing is more damaging to the adventurous spirit within a man than a secure future. The very basic core of a man's living spirit is his passion for adventure. The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun. "
-Jon Krakauer, Into the Wild 

Hey guys! Obviously it has been quite some time time since Bike and Build. This is a letter to all my donors. Thank you guys for all that you did:) 


December 26, 2015 

My Dearest Donors, 
Happy holidays! I remember just a year ago I was writing you asking you to donate to my Bike and Build trip, where I would bike across the United States to raise money and awareness for affordable housing. I can’t believe a year has gone by so quickly. I just wanted you to know that my Bike and Build journey would not be possible without you and your generosity. Bike and Build showed me a lot about myself, the world around me, and that there are MANY mountains in this country! This letter is meant to show my appreciation for you and to let you know what I experienced this summer. 
I was one of the first people to show up to orientation in May and to say that I was nervous would be an understatement. Slowly, but surely, everyone started to arrive with their beautiful bikes and a bag that would carry them through the summer. We had orientation for two nights in Nags Head, where we learned about bike safety, got to know each other, and got a glimpse of what the summer would be like. Our first ride day was sixty-seven miles to Swanquarter, North Carolina. It was windy and I got my first flat tire! Over the summer, I got a record fourteen flats. 
My team and I shared so many adventures every day together. I cannot explain how wonderful it was to be able to wake up everyday and simply ride my bike to the next location. Riding every day not only made my body stronger, but my mind stronger. It is amazing what we as humans can will ourselves to do. It is also amazing that I know more about the people on my trip, than I know about lifelong friends or family members. I could ride eight hours with someone and hear their entire life story. The friendships I built are one of the most priceless gifts I have ever received. 
I want to tell you guys about one of my favorite days. On July 4, 2015 I rode my bike up to Monarch’s Pass with two of my best friends. The altitude was getting to me, and honestly, it was one of the most physically challenging days of my life. When I started to near the top, I felt so much relief. Not because the long climb was over, but because I could see members of my team in the distance. They were all screaming and cheering us on. I got to do the same thing to those who climbed the mountain behind me. That day I accomplished something I never that was possible. 
After lunch, a group of us took a gondola up to the top of the mountain at 12,000 feet. I was at the top of Monarch’s Pass at the Continental Divide and there was snow in July. I sat down and looked out over the Rocky Mountains and in that moment, I felt complete peace. It is true freedom when you can look out over God’s creation and feel humbled by the vastness of this world. When I reached the top of the mountain, I was absolutely speechless. When I gazed out into the Rockies, I knew my place in the world. I grew up. 
Out of seventy-two days, we had four off days, twelve build days, and fifty-six ride days. The days I wasn’t on my bike, I got the opportunity to build houses for people. One day in particular that sticks out to me is Fayetteville, Arkansas. While we were on the build site, I got meet a future homeowner and hear her story of how she found Habitat for Humanity. Some days aren’t about building, they are about the people who are put in your path. This was one of those days. I had the opportunity to hear Sarah’s story about human resilience and I even got to meet her daughter. I was so moved that at the end of the summer, I allotted a large portion of the money I raised to Sarah’s house. YOUR money helped build a home for this woman and her family. I am honestly tearing up just writing this right now. Without you, this would not be possible. 
We ended our trip in San Diego on July 24th. It is still surreal. The next couple days were a blur, saying our goodbyes and adventuring in San Diego. I spent two weeks in California after my trip was over, and I would be lying if I told you guys that I was ready to come home. Bike and Build changed me. I’m not sure if it was the Pacific Ocean, the ride up Highway one, Sunset Cliffs, or the view from the top of San Jose, but I left a piece of myself out there in California. Maybe I left a tiny piece of myself in every state Big Blue (my bike) rode through. Bike and Build touches lives. I know it touched mine in a way that I will always remember.  If you’re feeling like you didn’t give “enough” this holiday season, I want you all to know that you gave ALOT to many families this summer. Thank you so much for that. You helped make my dream a reality. Happy New Year. 

Yours Truly, 
Mary Reames 

















No comments:

Post a Comment