Thursday, January 1, 2015

Happy New Year

Hey Guys!

I understand that many people will be reading this. For those of you who don't know me, my name is Mary Reames and I am twenty-four years old from a small town in South Carolina called, Camden. I've never started a blog before and I'm actually not very computer savvy. (This is slightly funny considering my age.) The reason for my blog is my upcoming Bike and Build trip. What is Bike and build, you say? Let me tell you.

Bike and Build is a non-profit organization that benefits affordable housing through service oriented cycling trips. They also empower young adults for a lifetime of service and civic engagement. There are eight different cross country routes and I will be participating in the North Carolina to San Diego route. (NC2SD) For those who know me well, know I LOVE North Carolina and I'm SUPER STOKED to begin my journey in such a wonderful place. I moved to Wilmington, NC in 2011 and it was a place of healing for me. Because of this, it holds a special spot in my heart. Of course, I'd hate to leave out some of my other favorite NC cities...Asheville, Charlotte, and Boone.

Okay, back to Bike and Build. In May of this year (yay it's 2015!) my team of twenty-six riders and four team leaders will begin the journey to San Diego. We will be pedaling for affordable housing, building homes for those in need, and giving presentations on the AH cause. Did you know that one-third of US families and individuals paid excessive shares of income for housing in 2012? This is a HUGE leap from 2002. The Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) considers housing to be affordable to a low-income family as long as the cost of housing, including rent and utilities does not exceed thirty percent (before taxes.) Growing up in a nice home, I never realized how many families were burdened by this.

I am really excited to be a part of something so much bigger than myself and to learn EVEN MORE about the AH crisis here in the United States. Throughout the next eight months, I will posting information about Bike and Build, my fundraising, training extravaganzas, biking adventures, and much more. If you don't already know, each rider is required to raise a total of $4,500. Much to my dismay, I have ALREADY surpassed my goal. I am absolutely humbled by how receptive people have been to me and what I am raising money for. I have received nothing but positive feedback from friends, family, and the community where I live. I plan to continue my fundraising, but I ask you guys to check out my teammates. Read their bios and if you read something you like, please donate. ANY AMOUNT, big or small is a huge help. Every little bit counts. To view my personal bio please visit bikeandbuild.org/rider/7818. To learn more about Bike and Build, the 2015 riders, and my team please visit bikeandbuild.org

I am going to end this blog entry with a little information about myself and my January 1st training adventure. Since you guys already know where I live, I'll tell you about what I do here. I work at a locally owned bookstore, called Books on Broad. Books on Broad is not just any bookstore. We also have a cafe in the back, where we make some THE BEST coffee around. (Provided by my beloved King Bean roasters in Charleston, South Carolina. THEY ROCK!) Books on Broad is also magical. Every day when I go into work, I look forward to seeing my regular customers, helping people pick out books, and saving the day with a great cup of coffee. When I walk into the store, I know I am home.

I also volunteer on the bookmobile with the Kershaw County Library. The bookmobile brings books to people who can't easily get to the regular library. This experience has helped me grow so much as a human being because I am able to get out of myself. I absolutely love the bookmobile and all the people we encounter on a weekly basis. I've learned that if I can keep an open mind, I can learn so much more about the world around me.

I am also an AVID crossfitter. I love my crossfit community here in Camden. They are like another family to me. With all that said, I kicked off my B&B training with a Happy New Years WOD.


We had to do twenty of what you all see posted above. What a way to start the new year!!!! I hope ya'll enjoyed reading what I had to say and MORE will be coming soon...especially once i get my bike. Words cannot even express my gratitude and enthusiasm for the journey I'm about to embark on. Happy New Year and Happy Cycling...



sidenote: Please excuse all grammatical errors. THANKS!

No comments:

Post a Comment